Wednesday 5 October 2016

ITTF W/Cup: Quadri unfazed by setbacks in Germany



ITTF W/Cup: Quadri unfazed by setbacks in Germany
 Image result for aruna quadri exits world cup in germany
Aruna Quadri has taken his early exit at the just concluded ITTF World Cup in good faith while remaining optimistic that the defeat would affect his dream of progressing in his career.
The 2014 ITTF Star Player was beaten by Sweden’s Par Gerell 4-2 and Singapore’s Gao Ning to miss out of the second round of the third most prestigious tournament in the ITTF Calendar.
But a determined Quadri told NationSport before his departure to Portugal from Germany yesterday that the defeat has taught him to continue to work harder.
“I think my performance at the World Cup was not too bad because I really gave a good fight but I was not lucky enough to go out of the group. I had chances which I failed to utilize and this really cost me the two losses. Before the tournament, I really worked harder but sometimes you don’t get the results of hard work immediately of which I believed that better days are ahead. I have given my whole ability in Germany and I hope to bounce back positively in subsequent tournaments.
“It is true that the results in Germany will affect my world ranking but I am not bothered about the ranking as there are more events in future which I could amass points to shore up my world rating again as I will keep working hard,”  he said.
However, Quadri is still bothered that despite his rising profile globally based on his quarterfinal berth at the Rio Olympic Games, the Ministry of Sports has not deemed it fit to support his career.

…..Aruna’s Early Exit Shocks Spectators

Spectators were left stunned on the opening day of the Liebherr 2016 Men’s World Cup on Saturday as Nigeria’s Quadri Aruna suffered an early elimination from his qualifying group.
Aruna lost out to Gao Ning of Singapore in the seven ends to make it two defeats from two matches for the Nigerian at the table tennis tournament in Saarbrucken, Germany.
Victory was required to keep him in with a chance of making the Round of 16 and he made a positive start to the match by moving 2-0 in front.
Then, game three changed the complexion of the duel as Gao edged to a 16-14 win.
He added another two game wins to his name to turn the match on its head with a 3-2 lead in his favour, for momentum to be firmly in Gao’s court.
Although Aruna did manage to level the scores at three games apiece, it was the Singapore player who stood victorious (5-11, 6-11, 16-14, 11-6, 11-8, 7-11, 13-11).
After his exit was confirmed Aruna spoke about how the significant difference in high level competition experience proved to be the determining factor in the match.
“I gave my best, but I made a lot of mistakes during crucial stages. I think he is more experienced and that really worked for him.
“I was also unlucky to have missed many chances.”
Aruna continued to praise Gao’s approach to the tie by saying “I knew that it was going to be 50-50 against him because he is a top player.
“He was also calmer during match and I can conclude that his experience saved him. I hope to do better next time.”
Tidesports reports that the one remaining tie in group 4 saw Gao take on Pär Gerell of Sweden to settle the dispute for top spot.
Gerell appears to be in good form at the World Cup after he backed up his morning win over Aruna with an emphatic triumph against Gao (11-2, 11-7, 11-9, 11-6).

No comments:

Post a Comment